If you are on the hunt to see condos for sale, you might not have much experience with this very specific market. This is especially true if you are accustomed to living in a house, rather than apartments or condos. How you choose a condo can have a significant impact on your lifestyle so it’s important that you choose the right one for you. Here are some useful tips to help you with that process:
Preparation before you look at condos for sale
Often, people will turn to the ads page first. This is not a good plan and will usually not yield the results you want. It’s important that you have all the information you need and ads alone will not provide it. The first thing you should do is hire a realtor who is experienced in the condo market. Contrary to popular belief, a realtor will not cost you money. Rather, the seller pays the percentage owed to the realtor. A realtor has advice on what to look for, and can save you a lot of headaches that could come after the fact.
It can also be helpful to hire a real estate lawyer before you sign any contracts or mortgage agreements. A lawyer can help make sure you understand all the legal requirements that come with purchasing a condo so you are not hit with any surprises. Sitting down with a lawyer and a real estate agent to really crunch your numbers will help you to know whether or not you are truly prepared financially to take on the responsibility of ownership. Make sure you only look at condos for sale that you can afford.
Tips on what to avoid
- The little things you might not think about can really make a difference. Here are a few things to avoid:
- Units that are situated near a high-traffic zone. You won’t want that noise near your living space!
- Units near elevators. Again, this would be a noisy location you might not like.
- Condos that overlook unpleasant sights, such as trash pickup areas or parking lots.
- It would be wise to choose condos for sale where the majority of your neighbors are owners, rather than renters. Owners generally are more quiet, settled people who will take more care and pride in their area.
- Avoid communities or areas of town that aren’t appealing to you. Even if you like the building itself, if you don’t love the area around it, you will regret it.
- Don’t make any final decisions until you’ve been in the unit several times, and really looked at all the nooks and crannies.
- Don’t make a purchase until you’ve spoken with some of the neighbors you will have. They can give you invaluable advice about living there, and their experience could very well make or break your deal.
- Be sure to FULLY understand all the fees you will incur, such as condo association dues, maintenance fees, and closing costs.
- Never buy a condo unit you don’t love, or one with a view you don’t love. This is a major purchase and the last thing you want is buyer’s remorse!
For more information on hunting for condos for sale, call Jerry Pinkas today! You will get expert advice on all the aspects of looking for the right condo for your needs.
Jerry Pinkas Real Estate Experts
604 N. 27th Ave
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577